[Paraview] Manually set UGrid point IDs for time-series plotting?

Eric Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Dec 13 10:38:12 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is any way of manually setting point ID values
within a vtkUnstructuredGrid? (I'm using Python to populate a UGrid
from HDF5 data and then writing to *.vtu and *.pvd files for multiple
time steps.)

I'm visualizing a time series of points diffusing in a space, where
some particles appear and disappear over time. This presents a problem
when I want to plot with Extract Points Over Time, because the point
"index" that ParaView sees isn't consistent (doesn't correspond to a
single particle) over the whole time series.

I have a scalar array of IDs associated with the point data, which I
successfully use with John Biddiscombe's Temporal Trails Filter (since
it has an option for using a scalar array for ID), but I don't know
how to use that same info for XY plotting.

I see that the ExodusII reader puts some global ID info into a
vtkModelMetadata object and packs it into the UGrid field data. (Then,
I'm guessing that the Extract Points Over Time might be able to sense
this and "un-grey" the Use Global Ids check box...?) Is there any
other way (besides using a vtkExodusIIReader) to do the equivalent
process, such that the info will be viewable by the plotting routines?

Thanks a lot,
-Eric