[Paraview] isosurfaces & slices, lights/shadows

Michael Müller m.mueller at recom-services.de
Thu May 3 04:21:11 EDT 2018

Dear users,

I am having some problem visualizing isosurfaces/contours in combination
with slices. Usually I switch off all lights to get nice coloring:
/
renderView1.UseLight = 0               # for slices etc.
/
(Output without isosurface attached: temp.jpg)

When I include an isosurface using contour-filter, it looks totally
'flat', there are no contours or shadows visible.
(Output with ugly isosurface attached: temp-iso-nolight.jpg)

What I tried to do was switch on lighting and include additional lights
with intensity 0.6 (to prevent getting too dark coloring of the slices).
/
renderView1.UseLight = 1               # for slices etc.
light1 = AddLight(view=renderView1)    # for contour on isosurfaces !!!
light1.Coords    = 'Ambient'           # position-less == camera
light1.Intensity = 0.6                 # dim intensity [0:1]
/
(Output with nice isosurface attached: temp-iso-light-addlight06.jpg).

Still the problem: while I get a nice isosurface and the vertical slice
is looking okay, the horizontal slices are still darker than the ones in
the default screenshot (see: temp-iso-light-addlight06.jpg vs temp.jpg).

Is there a way, to turn on/off lights on single objects in my pipeline?
Is it possible to include something like shading directly to the isosurface?
Any other ideas!?

Thanks,

Michael